Picture Book Writer

Picture Book Writer

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Universe Provides (some book recommendations)

and this dudette abides…





Before and during my hospital stay, the Universe provided A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle. It was a great comfort, because I related to Meg's physical sensations (particularly the numbness, known as Todd's paralysis, on the right side of my body) as she traveled through space and time. I recommend for middle grade and up.



Moving on to the next book in line: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie. 



I finally got around to reading it. It's been on my to-read list for years. But remember…


a wizard is never late!


From the very first chapter, we realize the main character, Arnold, had a childhood brain issue. And seizures. Crazy, right? Yet another character offering tremendous support. This is one of my favorite books. Thank you, Mr. Alexie, for listening to that call from the Universe! 

Note: This book is for grades 7-10, ages 12-17. I will be recommending it to my 13 year old son. I will ALSO be recommending it to my daughter when she is of age. I know I don't have to point this out, but just because the main character is male doesn't mean the book is strictly for boys. That would be like saying Harry Potter is only for boys…and that's just silly! Go for it, grrrls!

While I have always known the importance of literacy and the impact books make on children, this experience has given me an even deeper understanding. Books, and especially the characters, seep into our subconscious. They act as little guides. I can think of at least 3 books that were read to me in preschool that have stayed with me all my life. They continue to help me now:


            


Lastly, we cannot forget the villains. They are just as important. Just as helpful. The steroid medication I'm on to prevent inflammation keeps me up at all hours of the night. I have started to read Shakespeare's Richard III. You can bet I will be just as cunning and vindictive as the old Duke of Gloucester to help me beat this whole brain cancer thing.  [insert evil laugh]


Shine out fair sun, till I have bought a glass,
That I may see my shadow as I pass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to drop me a line.